Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"My God, it's full of stars"

I love the line, "My God, it's full of stars!", from Arthur C. Clarke's book 2001: A Space Odyssey. It didn't make it into Kubrick's film but was included in the sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

As I was working on the quilt, the round shapes became more and more planetary/star-like and this slowly developed. Instead of machine quilting it like The Great Northwest, I decided that I'd try to tie it together to mimic galaxies of stars so that the quilt would feel like it was full of stars. 

I don't know if I'll be doing that again anytime soon. It's takes about forever to hand-tie nearly 1,000 triple-knots and I'm an old grandpa. But the effect is sure worth it. It adds this weird sense of movement to the quilt. You can neatly arrange them for an ordered feel or even better is when they just lay naturally so it looks like some ancient form of calligraphy. (True story: the first quilt I received was from my aunt; a hand-tied Star Wars quilt which is the oldest possession I have...I'm sure it inspired my love of hand-tied quilts!)

This will be one of 4 quilts that I'll be showing (plus trying to make one or two new ones down in the space in a make-shift residency) for the upcoming The Camp Out series of exhibitions as part of the Storefronts project. I think the only hold-up right now is keys to the space. Hopefully, it will all work out and you can check it out (in the Smith Tower) next First Thursday (Jan 3, 2013). 

I like my quilts to have an A-side and B-side. The A-side is the side that's presented and the B-side is something related (though the Twin Peaks B-side could really be its own A-side). For this quilt, I thought the perfect back would be the monolith. I love how the back of the knots create an ordered field of stars. 

Sleep under this quilt for strange and beautiful dreams! Perfect for a cold & snowy night!


ELH said...

Wow, this quilt is so beautiful! And I love the quote too.

counsel said...

Joey, I love this so much.