Saturday, October 1, 2011

Greg Kucera Gallery / City Arts Fest

Bear, 2010 by Joey Veltkamp

I'm super excited to have a few paintings in the upcoming show Mars vs Venus: Images of Male and Female at Greg Kucera Ga
llery. I'll be in great company with local favorites like Dawn Cerny, Claudia Fitch, Daniel Carrillo and 0thers. And we'll all be in really great company with folks like Kiki Smith, Kara Walker, Kerry James Marshall, Carolee Schneemann, John Waters and Tom of Finland and many more. But I think I'm most excited that I'll have work in the same as show as this photo of Leigh Bowery by Fergus Greer, which I've loved for years. The opening is next Thursday (1st Thursday) from 6-8pm.
"Contemporary artists deal with the male and female figure in a myriad of intriguing ways. Exploring the differences between men and women, and the variety of expressions available to each gender makes this a diverse show, including both important regional and influential international artists. The works in this show approaches the sexes in sometimes idealized, humorous, confrontational, academic and ambiguous ways." - via
video still from A Bear's Life

And then I've been having lots of fun making a video for the upcoming City Arts Festival. Sara Edwards has been curating an amazing program for this year's festival.
"Peering through the lenses of three diverse local curators, the exhibits will showcase a wide array of visual art genres and uncover how the contemporary visual art scene interacts with music and comes to life in our city and the festival setting."
The Visual Arts program (co-curated by Sierra Stinson) is especially robust. I'm especially looking forward to the Culture Club series which includes shows curated by Free Sheep Foundation, Michael Van Horn, Amanda Manitach & Serrah Russell, Celebrity Karaoke with Eric and Betsey, and a visual happy hour with Sierra Stinson & Klara Glosova. On Friday (Oct 21), I'll be up first behind the bar at FRED Wildlife Refuge (before I scoot down to the SOIL Auction). Each artist (Greg Lundgren, Gala Bent, Jim Demetre, Lindsey Apodaca, Joey Veltkamp, Susan Robb) has a 15 minute shift of bartending where we serve our own custom cocktails while our videos play in the background. My cocktail is going to be A Bear's Life, a rye drink with a cinnamon bear, that my buddy Tim Betterley (KEXP DJ/Bartender) custom-created just for this event. I also made a 5 minute video of over 1,o00+ iterations of my drawing of a man and a bear that tells the story of them falling in love set against the backdrop of the Pacific Northwest. It should be lots of fun.

1 comment:

harold hollingsworth said...

congrats Joey, looking forward to seeing the show, sounds fantastic!