Saturday, August 13, 2011

The owls of Matthew Offenbacher

Medium Owl, 2006 by Matthew Offenbacher (image via)
oil and watercolor on canvas, 22" x 22.5"

As I walked home tonight, it was impossible to miss the giant moon in the sky. It got me thinking about Matt Offenbacher's painting Medium Owl (2006). [Does everyone get cravings for paintings?] The blog redesign has me feeling a bit ambitious and I was considering tackling a list of NW owls, like this week's Bears of Seattle post. (I'm kind of obsessed with owls and bears...I wonder sometimes if I grew up in Florida, would I love flamingos and alligators instead?)

Large Owl, 2006 by Matthew Offenbacher (image via)
oil and watercolor on canvas,
31.5" x 24.5"

In regards to owls of the Northwest, Matt's Missoni-inspired ones are at the top of my list. I remember thinking they were way too weird for me when I first saw them back in 2006. But in the five years since then, as I've gotten to know both Matt and his art, they've become some of my favorite paintings. And I hope that they find their way to a museum soon so I can quit worrying about their future.

Small Owl, 2006 by Matthew Offenbacher (image via)
oil and watercolor on canvas, 11.5" x 11.25"

I was going to comment that I've already said this all a million times before but then I wanted to fact-check that number. Hyperbole aside, out of the 1,110 posts I've done, it turns out Seattle is, by far my most talked about subject (that makes sense since it's a Seattle-focused art blog).

An index to the history of lust, 2007 by Matthew Offenbacher
oil and watercolor canvas, 19" x 18" (image via)

Then, in an almost a 3 way tie, Matt Offenbacher, Jeffry Mitchell and--just barely edging them out--Gretchen Bennett. (I'm not surprised - they're 3 of my favorites. I don't think that 30+ mentions out of 1100 posts is really that much.) And the 5th most blogged subject? Vermillion.

untitled, 2011 by Matthew Offenbacher (image via)
oil, acrylic, distemper on stainguard,
52 x 45"

I also love Matt's non-owl work; here's a painting from his recent Vignettes show, The Divided $elf.

No comments: