Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hankblog / David Herbert

As I struggle to keep my own blog up to date lately, it sure makes me appreciate those folks who can post daily and keep their blog fresh! Nothing kills your hard-earned readership faster than infrequent posting.

Just in case you haven't noticed, Hankblog (Henry Art Gallery) has been doing an amazing job of posting daily for a while now. It's been one of my favorite to check out, and not just because they were sweet enough to let me draw their current blog header. The Henry is one of those organizations that has so much going on that it can be hard to keep track of it all. Check out the blog frequently to sort it all out.

David Herbert. Holy Mountain. 2011. Digital collage.
Courtesy of the artist and Postmasters Gallery, New York.
via Henry Art Gallery

Speaking of the Henry, I'm seriously trying to not to lose my shit over their upcoming exhibition, David Herbert and the Mystery of the Holy Mountain.
Seattle native David Herbert utilizes everyday materials, including Styrofoam, PVC pipes, and Scotch Tape, to create eccentric sculptural installations of iconic subjects. During a two-week open studio at the Henry, Herbert will build a new installation specific the Puget Sound region. A recreation of Mount Rainer will sit atop of a rough skeletal framework modeled after the alien ship from the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
It's one of those things that on paper sounds like it could be one of my favorite things this year. I don't know what it is about the mountains this year in our region but they've been especially inspiring. Just in these past couple of months, I've seen Mt. Rainier in work by Claire Johnson, Gretchen Bennett, Vic Haven, let alone all the previous work inspired by this mysterious mountain. It keeps coming up lately; I hope that's not a portent that it's finally gonna blow (or lift off like a giant spaceship)!

1 comment:

harold hollingsworth said...

got to get over and see that show, and do more postings myself!