Thursday, March 31, 2011

Supra tidal / Matt Sellars


by Matt Sellars (image via Platform Gallery)

Matt Sellar's Supra tidal at Platform Gallery is part science, part history but all art. Built around a summer of collecting debris from West Seattle's supra tidal area, documenting it with a photo, then doing a drawing of the location.
“Through this, my end goal was to be able to visualize what this area must've looked like and been for the native Suquamish people who lived here before the arrival of the white man. I also sought to envision the time after their arrival and leading to the present. In the end however, though I had slight moments in which I felt I could visualize this, what really happened was a deeper discovery of the place I live and why I like to be here. I also discovered a lot about the society in which I live in through what we choose to toss out the window or leave at the beach. My intent with collecting this garbage was to get my head into the space of the landscape. Like any form of beachcombing, there was calming quality about it, which enabled me to focus only on the task at hand." - Matt Sellars
Supra tidal at Platform Gallery / March 31 to May 7
Reception tonight (Mar 31) from 6 to 8PM / FB invite

No comments: