Friday, March 25, 2011

Painterly!

detail from current oil painting

When I first started out painting (11 years ago?!), I started out in oil. But living in a small apartment, I switched to acrylics a couple of years later. It was way easier for someone with zero patience or any room for paintings to cure. Lately, I've been really attracted to oil again. Maybe it's the collaborations with Susanna Bluhm, the interview with Alexander Kroll or just a natural rhythm but it's been really fun to work in the studio building up layers of oil paint.

Stormcrow by Summer Wheat, 2010 (image via)
acrylic and oil on canvas, 16” x 20”

This has also resulted in a shift of what type of art I find interesting these days. Suddenly, the messier or heavier, the better. Drippy, thick abstract figures like Summer Wheat's are blowing me away right now. That's really surprising because I typically like a lot more order in my art.

Skull, 2010 by Summer Wheat (image via)
acrylic and oil on canvas, 72”x 96”

Someone else who's making really interesting abstracted portraits is Cait Willis. She showed the painted below last year at Vermillion. Such a really interesting (and bold) new direction.


Talking Head 1 by Cait Willis

Cait has a show opening up at Ghost Gallery on April 14th which will continue this exploration of technological glitches. And if you can't wait until then, make sure you check out her current paintings in the Forecast: Communicating Weather and Climate show still on view at the convention center through April 7th.

No comments: