Wednesday, February 2, 2011


Look, there he stands behind our wall, gazing in at the windows
by Susanna Bluhm, 2010, 30” x 30”, oil on canvas

Artist Sharon Arnold just announced the launch of an awesome new art project. LxWxH is a subscription based project that encourages purchasing local art while growing your collection in a fun and creative way.

There will be 6 boxes of art per year. Each box will include 2 original pieces of art and an original essay. You can subscribe to the series or just buy a single box by your favorite artists. Each box is $125 (or $700 for the series). If you are my mother, you're probably already thinking, "I dunno, that's kind of steep." The great thing is that everyone involved in this experiment gets paid--the artists, the writers and even Sharon (though I'm sure her share will just go back into the project)-- for every box sold.

Bear, 2011 by Joey Veltkamp

There's an element of chance--you don't really know what you're going to get to until it arrives. Most likely you'll love it (that's the goal), but in case you don't it might be time to start an underground art-trading network.

I'm honored to be involved; Susanna Bluhm and I will be the inaugural box of art and Amanda Manitach will write the essay for March. I've been working on a lots of all new drawings all set against this pebble motif. I can't wait to see what Susanna submits.

If this sounds interesting or if you have questions, go here. Congratulations Sharon - I hope this project has long legs because it sounds awesome!

1 comment:

sharon said...

omgosh Joey, thanks so much :)

I love love love the idea of an underground art-trading network.... that would be a beautiful thing :)