Monday, February 14, 2011

Enhanced Sunspots by Rachel Brumer

Enhanced Sunspots, 2010 by Rachel Brumer
Fiber, 41" x 37" (image via artist)

"In 1613 Galileo made 23 drawings of Sunspots. These were the source material for my pieces, Enhanced Sunspots, after Galileo. This was a random process of discovery. I use the Van Dyke photographic printing process to create images on fabric, and while researching the history of the Van Dyke print, I came across the drawings of the Sunspots and was immediately struck by the relationship, because the Van Dyke process uses the sun in the printing out process.

To create these pieces, I start with white fabric. I dyed it green, then removed a lot of the color with a discharge bleach. Then I printed the fabric using the Van Dyke method and started embroidering the sunspots with French knots. Again, I used the discharge bleach, removing much of the Van Dyke print. The petals of fabric creating the circle of the sun is made of hand dyed fabric, appliqued to the background." - Rachel Brumer

You can see the work in person at Grover/Thurston Gallery from March 3 - April 2, 2011.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

How beautiful is this?? The sunspots are impossibly intricate. I don't know how she does it...Everyone come to the show! It's going to be absolutely stunning. love you mom!