Monday, January 24, 2011

Red Seed by Susan Melrath

Red Seed by Susan Melrath
acrylic on board, 24x48

"Inspired by the coming of spring, this painting was first created in the "Brushes" app on my iPhone. Brushes is a painting application designed for the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. It’s a powerful tool for creating original artwork on your mobile device (brings a whole new meaning to plein air painting). I loved the fact that it was part doodling, and part painting - no pressure, just fooling around. Layers can be rearranged, deleted, merged and copied between paintings. You can even adjust the opacity of each layer. (A couple of “New Yorker” covers have been illustrated by an artist using Brushes, and I understand the iPad is David Hockney’s favorite new medium.) Brushes also allows you to replay your painting stroke by stroke, and export it as a movie....

video of Susan drawing with Brushes application

I decided to see how this might translate to canvas. So, back in the studio I began layering colors and repeating forms, trying to retain the spontaneity I felt on the smaller screen. I looked for patterns everywhere, from nature’s cellular forms to textiles and mosaics. Rich colors drew me in, patterns guided me through, and flat, poetic shapes allowed me to rest. Each component seems to be a metaphor for the passage of time and the complex relationships in our lives. Built around this architecture of flora, my “garden” paintings are a celebration of life, growth, and the rhythm of the seasons." - Susan Melrath

If you would like to see them in person, swing by the Virginia Inn between March 3 and April 30th.

No comments: