Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oops, I did it again...

my fuzzy brain

To quote Winnie the Pooh, I'm a bear of little brain and the majority of it is used to store useless facts and trivia (Q. Who won Star Search's first spokesmodel competition? A. Sharon Stone). Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a lot of room for important stuff, like you.

The internet says that the average person can remember between 300 and 500 people (obviously this varies wildly). I'm not sure why but the "steel-trap mind" of my 20s has slowly morphed into a metal colander during my 30s, leaking faces all over the place. It's gotten so bad that you and I can have a conversation on a Friday and by the time Monday rolls around, I won't be able to remember your face. I know your name, I know what we talked about but I just can't attach it to you.

I've tried various ways to overcome this. Facebook has been somewhat helpful because now before any event, I can cruise through the list of attendees and at least attempt to recommit names with faces. Part of the problem is that I tend to meet people at social events where my anxiety is already a little high. And if I run into you in a situation that's out of context, I'm totally lost. This constantly makes me feel bad because as everybody knows, there's nothing worse than somebody not remembering who are.

If you know me, you already know that nothing makes me feel worse than hurting people's feeling. Consider this my public apology if I've ever made you feel bad by not being able to place you - it certainly wasn't my intent and if you nudge me on your name, I can usually demonstrate that I really do know who you are. I know that I'm not unique in this, but I just wanted to address it because I'm afraid it's just going to get worse as I get older.


stupidmouth said...

Have never met you, but think I love you! Feel the love Joey-Bear! XOXO

Joey Veltkamp said...

Aw, thanks! I can feel it! :) xo