Monday, January 17, 2011

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

image via

I can't think of any historical person who deserves the title of hero more than Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I keep rewriting this post but I guess all I really want to say is that I think America needs him now, perhaps more than ever. I just wanted to pause and remember his tireless advocacy for the disenfranchised and his message of hope. There were so many beautiful quotes on Facebook this morning; here are a couple of my favorites.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

‎Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent.

‎A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.

No comments: