Tuesday, January 25, 2011

David Rathman / Mark Moore Gallery

Drillbit Taylor, 2010 by David Rathman
Watercolor on paper, 30 x 40 inches

Oh man! My buddy David Rathman sent over a few preview images of his upcoming show, Great Expectations, at Mark Moore Gallery in Los Angeles. If you've been reading this blog for long, you'll know I'm a big fan of his work.

Wonderings, 2010 by David Rathman
Watercolor on paper, 30 x 40 inches

David's watercolors are hyper-masculine and full of nostalgia. He explores a few different themes; dusty scenes lifted from spaghetti Westerns, the collective musical angst of our teen-aged years, and memories of life in a small town (Choteau, MT to be exact).

His latest work has taken a dramatic turn, both in size and subject matter. The new work is huge - this diptych is 4' x 12! David's paintings of his studio remind me of Grant Barnhart's latest work. I'll bet if they were both in a room together, they'd find lots to talk about.

Where's the end of it? (detail), 2010 by David Rathman
Watercolor on paper, Diptych 42.25 x 69 inches each

Someday, if I ever get rich or famous I'm gonna buy me a David Rathman! Until then, I'm happy to look at these beautiful images online. If you're in LA, you should check them out in person. Great Expectations is a 2 person exhibition; Rathman will be showing with David Hilliard and it looks to be an amazing exploration regarding the spectrum of masculinity. The show will be up Feb 19 - April 2.

No comments: