Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Seattle supports Wojnarowicz


David Wojnarowicz (image via wiki)

Hedreen Gallery just announced that they'll be showing David Wojnarowicz’s film Fire in My Belly.

I'm so happy to see that at least one Seattle museum or gallery has stepped up to show this video. Let's hear it for artistic solidarity! If you don't live in Seattle, check this list to see where it might be playing locally. Yes, we can (and probably already have) watch it on our own computer, but I think there's something powerful about getting a room full of people together to discuss it in person. I just barely remember the Culture Wars of the 80s and outside of John Ashcroft's weird attempt to clothe Lady Justice, I don't really recall any other things like this happening since then (but then I have a really bad memory).

If you have the chance, join the Hedreen Gallery as part of their LUNCH program from 12 - 1:30 pm for a screening and discussion this Friday.

Updated: Jen reports that Henry is also preparing to show it, and that SAM and the Frye are working on their responses.

No comments: