Monday, November 22, 2010

William Cumming (1917-2010)


My Dog by William Cumming (image via)

I never got to meet William Cumming but I've loved his work since first seeing it at a Frye retrospective in 2005.
"William Cumming is a native of Kalispell, Montana, and grew up in Tukwila, Washington. Largely a self-taught artist, he began his career as a painter working on the WPA Federal Art Project in Seattle from 1938 to 1940. William Cumming was the youngest member of the "Northwest School" of artists, whose members included Mark Tobey, Morris Graves, Kenneth Callahan, and Guy Anderson." - Woodside / Braseth

4 comments:

Molo said...

I recall really enjoying Cumming's curmudgeonly persona back in '05 at the Frye! He will be missed.

BEQN said...

I can't find notice of his death anywhere else. Can you tell me where you first heard of this?

Joey_Veltkamp said...

his Seattle dealer john braseth made the announcement on his Facebook page yesterday morning. Truly the loss of a legend.

BEQN said...

Absolutely. Hopefully the other writers and bloggers can stop talking about the snow and start paying attention to this loss.

-Berit