Thursday, June 24, 2010

SAM's Party in the Park

ceramic tumblers, platter, vase

Okay, the table is officially set. Here's a preview of a really fun project that I'm participating in tomorrow at OSP. Party in the Park is SAM's annual fundraiser for the OSP's art projects. At 8:30 pm, the park will turn into a party with free beer and wine (well technically as part of your $75 - $125 donation) with musical guests Mudhoney (along with opening band Sweet Water), Here's a video from the last time I saw them play (a year ago at the Sorrento).

Before the party, they're hosting a fundraising dinner called Set the Table. I was thrilled to be invited to participate (along with my some of favorites like Chauney Peck, Nicholas Nyland, Eli Hansen, Matt Browning, Margot Quan Knight, Jason Hirata and Sol Hashemi). We're each decorating a table with a theme of our choosing. There were very few limits. In the end, my table ended up with a 70s Northwest-y vibe. Beautifully thrown tumblers and platters (thanks to Drew Daly & Amy Wood!) with sgraffitoed owls and bears sitting on a patchwork tablecloth sewn from my old shirts. Add a couple of paper mache owls (borrowed from this project) and it's feeling a lot like 1977 around here. This was a really fun project to work on. And I'm super excited because the food for our table will be cooked by my friend John Sundstrom (chef/owner of Lark, where I first showed my paintings).

3 comments:

jason said...

my table vibrates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25tK6bcoJtw see you tomorrow joey!

Joey Veltkamp said...

OMG - how awesome is that???? I wish all the artists & dates could sit at your table!

daghi said...

joey

way tooo cool dude.....
also loving your owls...

wahooooo...