Tuesday, June 29, 2010


I've been staring at this deer for over a week now. They're always in my thoughts because they've always been in my life. We saw them all the time in Montana, we saw plenty of them in the back yard in Spokane. And what surprises me the most is that I still see deer all the time.

Luckily for me, it's about impossible to walk around Capitol Hill and not run into them in their many forms (taxidermied, figurines, graphics, tshirts). And even I got to see some real ones a week ago out on Vashon. The reason the deer image is so ubiquitous is because it's so awesome!

Christy Turlington

This particular deer reminded me of something and finally I woke up and remembered. The beautiful, angular deer reminded me of my favorite supermodel, Christy Turlington.

I can't imagine how hard it must be growing up and having people like her being held up as the standard for beauty. That naturally means no one could ever measure up because Christy is so beautiful that the only logical explanation is that she is an alien (the huge ovoid eyes are always a give away people!). I mean growing up as a bear meant that my standards of beauty were guys like Grizzly Adams, John Matuszak, that dude at Red Robin, your uncle Gary, etc.

Anyway, the point is that deers and owls been taking up lots of blogging time lately. It'll be back to normal after this show opens on the 14th.


Joe said...

I'd like to see those two photos overlaid, it is an eerie resemblance. I once saw a deer walking down the middle of downtown Denver at 2AM. I would rather have seen Christy, but you take what you can get.

Joey_Veltkamp said...

Hey Joe! Even I'd take Christy Turlington over a deer. Esp at 2am in Denver (although it'd be pretty trippy to see a deer in the middle of downtown).