Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Theo Chocolate's Chef Confection Project


image via Theo Chocolate

When it comes to sweets, chocolates aren't usually my first pick (team cheesecake!). But I think that's going to change now that I've heard about the Chef Confection Project.

Theo Chocolate has been inviting James Beard Award-winning chefs to partner with them to produce unique confections. First up was Tilth's Maria Hines who came with a mouth-watering list of flavors, “I'd love to explore savory caramels: white truffle, spot prawn-anise-hyssop, triple lemon, sumac-marcona. I love cardamom, olives, onion jam, dried strawberries, those tamarind-chili-lime dried mangos, Woodford Reserve..."

image via Theo Chocolate

Lark owner/chef John Sundstrom was the 2nd chef to participate. For John, "The flavors ranged from sweet cajeta (goat's milk dulce de leche), to intriguing pine resin, to downright illegal (tonka beans)." The thought of pine resin and chocolate makes my mouth water.

The 3rd chef to collaborate was Poppy's Jerry Traunfeld. He arrived with, "...a bounty of
greens like shiso, kinome (leaves from the Szechuan pepper plant), anise hyssop, and fresh bay leaves."

I'm not sure when we'll be able to sample these but I hope soon!

1 comment:

ONE POT said...

Chef Session Number 4 is beginning right now! Follow us on Twitter and and Facebook.Chef & master of offal Chris Cosentino of SFO’s Incanto just flew in to play… nose-to-tail chocolate anyone?