Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Third Thursday

Update: Okay, Jason IS having an opening tonight. You should go! It's also his birthday. :)

Update: Sorry for any confusion, but there aren't opening receptions for these shows this Thurday. I don't know what I thinking - I blame the cold meds. But they're still awesome shows you should check out.

are you an illusion (Hirata), 2010 by Jason Hirata
Sweat and pigment on paper, 11 3/8" x 14 1/2"

I've really been looking forward to Jason Hirata's upcoming show at James Harris Gallery. I picked it as my top show for March's NOW section in City Arts Magazine. I just really like what he's doing. He, along with frequent collaborator Sol Hashemi, has injected Seattle with a fun, new energy. Plus, I think it's hilarious that he got Jim to jump rope and sweat - on camera.

Also at JHG, Alexander Kroll's amazing paintings.

Eidophusikon (2009) by Michael Schall
graphite on paper, 22 x 30 inches

Michael Schall returns to Platform Gallery with a new show of mind-blowing drawings. What some people can do with graphite! The title of the show, firefall, references an old tradition at Yosemite National Park of throwing burning embers over a cliff into the valley 1,700 feet below creating a waterfall of fire. The practice was stopped in 1872.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey Joey, I know that Mike's show opens this week, but I think his big reception is actually on First Thursday!