Thursday, January 7, 2010

READ/WRITE/THINK/DREAM


image by Travis Homung

I have been staring at this picture for the past couple of days. The location is at the entrance of the Geisel Library at UCSD. It's an intallation by John Baldessari called READ/WRITE/THINK/DREAM (2001). Colored panes of glass encase a lobby. As you enter through the automatic doors, the colors overlap to temporarily form new colors (yellow + blue = green). I can imagine myself escaping from the California sun and settling down here for some good people watching. This is a perfect spot for it, too, because local artist Roy McMakin has a pair of eucalyptus benches in the lobby to sit on. Read more here.

photo by Nitin Gupta

This is an exterior shot of Geisel Library (named in honor after Dr. Seuss and wife Audrey). Wow - talk about a brutalist masterpiece!

2 comments:

Joe said...

What a bizzare coincidence. I spent half the day reading and talking about brutalism and then got around to checking your blog and stumbled on this. I like quite a bit of brutalist architecture (and violently hate some), I just don't think we really have the climate for it here in the northwest. Though this building would work anywhere.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Oh how interesting. I love it. This building is beautiful!