Friday, December 4, 2009

Trenton Doyle Hancock - coming soon!

image via

This morning I went to Seattle Art Museum for a talk by Trenton Doyle Hancock. It's been a long time since I felt this inspired by an artist lecture. My first stop after the talk was my studio so I could get creative.

He took about an hour and went through the basic narrative of his work. Though he says that his paintings should contain the necessary story-telling elements to understand them, they're made much richer by hearing him explain the back story of the mounds.

Trenton is in town working with Marisa C. Sánchez, Assistant Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at Seattle Art Museum, on an upcoming pavilion installation at Olympic Sculpture Park. I can't wait!

Meddler, 2008 (image via James Cohan Gallery)
Mixed media on paper, 23 X 19 1/2 inches

Trenton also showed us a clip of a ballet he wrote called Cult of Color: Call to Color, performed by Austin Ballet, with choreography by Stephen Mills and an original score by Graham Reynolds. Someone asked if we'd ever see it here in Seattle and he replied that we should let him know he needs to talk to. On the Boards sounds about perfect! WOW!

Trenton Doyle Hancock shows at James Cohan Gallery, along with Roxy Paine, Wim Wenders, Robert Smithson and others.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Just read an interview with Trenton and find myself captivated by these curious "Mounds". Their story line is so charming and I feel protective of them already. lol.