Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Perfect Lovers

"Untitled" (Perfect Lovers) by Felix Gonzalez-Torres

I've been thinking about relationships in my art a lot lately. While doing some reading, I came across this quote that I really liked.

"We are part of this culture, we don't come from outer space, so whatever I do is already something that has entered my brain from some other sources and is then synthesized into something new. I respect my elders and I learn from them. There's nothing wrong with accepting that. I'm secure enough to accept those influences. I don't have anxiety about originality, I really don't." - Felix Gonzalez-Torres

3 comments:

Strath said...

I still remember seeing that piece for the first time, and Emily explaining it to me – I got all Brett Favre right there in the museum.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Yeah, sooo amazing!

Here was the full quote, "I don't really see it that way. I think more than anything else I'm just an extension of certain practices, minimalism or conceptualism, that I am developing areas I think were not totally dealt with. I don't like this idea of having to undermine your ancestors, of ridiculing them, undermining them, and making less out of them. I think we're part of a historical process and I think that this attitude that you have to murder your father in order to start something new is bullshit. We are part of this culture, we don't come from outer space, so whatever I do is already something that has entered my brain from some other sources and is then synthesized into something new. I respect my elders and I learn from them. There's nothing wrong with accepting that. I'm secure enough to accept those influences. I don't have anxiety about originality, I really don't."

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, I love Felix Gonzales-Torres! So inspiring. Thanks for posting Joey.