Monday, December 28, 2009

Album of the Decade...

I know this is old news for those of you who make end of year lists, but I just looked up the album of the decade. Kid A by Radiohead was listed as the #1 album by Rolling Stone, Pitchfork and others. As Pitchfork says, "No one will be shocked to learn that Radiohead’s Kid A has topped the chart." They barely nudged out Arcade Fire's Funeral. KEXP djs seemed split between the two.

I'm happy to see Kid A get top honors. I love that record. It was really cool to watch their dramatic shifts in musical styles from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A, then hovering around Amnesiac all the while making some of the best music of the 2000s. I think my favorite is Hail to the Thief.

It kind of blows my mind that we're starting 2010 in a few days. I remember listening to Prince's song 1999 (which came out in 1982) thinking that the year 1999 would never come come.


erin said...

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

Kate said...

I picked up the recent issue of Rolling Stone listing the decade's best songs and albums, and wasn't completely surprised to find Radiohead (listed multiple times) along with U2 and Bruce Springsteen, of course others are listed, but U2 and Bruce have been around the block a while, nice to see some staying power!

Molo said...

Kid A is great, but I still like Hail to the Thief better.

For the record.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Hey - me, too. Look at that!