Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Seattle University Artist in Residence



Continuing my summer of firsts, I am now officially doing my first residency - at Seattle University for summer and fall quarters. The Department of Fine Arts has got me all set up in a wonderful studio with lots of room for drawing, painting, ceramics and anything else I can think of! I'll be doing some open studios, student crits, and an artist talk culminating in a final show in mid-December. 

Coincidentally, one of my favorite people will be teaching there this fall so we're already scheming about fun ideas/projects. One thing I'm real excited about is hosting open studio nights and inviting artists to come in and just make art or do a demonstration on their speciality. I've already some great folks who want to do it.



Also, this is the first time I've ever had an actual studio. As long as I've been making art (it's been almost ten years since I first picked up a paintbrush), I've always just rented a 2 bedroom apartment and used one as my studio. I didn't think I'd enjoy making art off-site but it's been going really great so far! I'm looking forward to lots of visitors (and lunches at Presse).

7 comments:

Same Same But Different-A travel spot. said...

Congrats Joey!

daghi said...

great Joey...
looking forward to seeing some great new work...
love you blog.....
your one of the best.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Thanks James and Daghi!

sharonA said...

Joey, congrats! I'm really looking forward to reading more about your time there.

Emily said...

Joey, that's fantastic news - congrats! I can't wait to see what you get up to.

p.s. looking forward to your tour tonight at SAM!

Emily said...

Congratulations. This is great!

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sara

http://paintingdrawing.net