Monday, July 6, 2009

Upcoming shows...

If the blogging is a bit sporadic/odd/travelogue-y in the next two weeks, it's because I'll be heading up north to Montreal for a few days to visit some friends (including this fantastic artist) and then taking the train down to NYC. It will be my first time in both cities (can you believe that?)! We're staying in Chelsea and I can't wait to see lots of amazing art. If you have a *must do/see* in NYC, send it my way. The only things on my list right now are Central Park, The High Line and, of course, the museums. 

I couldn't be more excited for my upcoming trip. Really, I couldn't! But there are a few amazing shows opening up while I'm gone and that totally bums me out. Here are a few shows that I'll be running to check out when I'm back.

Thursday, July 9

Labels (detail) by Troy Gua

Troy Gua at Vermillion
Do you see me?

“Viral fame.  Digital personas.  Social networking obsessions.  What we choose to see, what we choose to show and the universal human need for validation.  This man’s personal quest for recognition and esteem.  I’m Troy Gua.  Do you see me?” 

It's going to be a great show and I love his honest approach! More about Troy here.

Snakes on a Painting! by Brad Biancardi

Brad Biancardi at Grey Gallery & Lounge
This Bike Deserves a Painting

"Though the paintings often begin as referential drawings, they eventually abandon their dependence on these influences and exist somewhere between invention and representation. Linear perspective, a vivid color palate, symmetrical references and asymmetrical nuances bring life to the work and add an aesthetic quality that is unique to Biancardi."

I loved Brad's art since I first saw it at the UW MFA show. This show should be great!

Friday, July 10

Greg Lundgren at Open Satellite
I Am From Bellevue

"I Am From Bellevue is Seattle artist Greg Lundgren’s investigation of suburban identity and the impact of suburbia on the artists who are born there. Lundgren, who grew up in Seattle in the 1970s and '80s, will select objects from the homes of Bellevue residents and assemble them into an installation. Part anthropology and part performance, the installation will reflect the artist's impressions of the suburban Bellevue of his youth and the young city in flux."

Also, Emily Pothast gives a tour at Seattle Art Museum as part of their My Favorite Things series. Should be completely interesting, full of insightful commentary and strange observations. Super bummed I'm missing it!

Thursday, July 16

Pottery Northwest will be holding its annual fundraiser, Salad Bowl! Lots of great artists have made bowls and platters to support a great organization! Tickets here. $50 will get you a one-of-a-kind salad bowl and repeated trips to the salad bar! One night only!

Interlocutor by Gala Bent

SAM Gallery presents their annual Summer Introductions show. This will showcase 8 new SAM Gallery artists: Gala Bent, Mary Margaret Briggs, Andrée B. Carter, Garek J. Druss, Grant Hottle, Jason Larsen, Andrea Schwartz-Feit and Liz Tran.

Shut up! Garek, Gala and Liz in a show together? Awesome!

Photo by Jennifer Zwick

Mandy Greer and Zoe Scofield at Camp Long
Mater Matrix Mother and Medium

"Mater Matrix Mother and Medium will culminate with a site-specific performance by Seattle-based and internationally-recognized choreographer and dancer Zoe Scofield. Come join in this one-time experience on July 16th, 2009 at 6:30 pm at the pond at Camp Long in West Seattle, 5200 35th Ave. SW."

This performance will be amazing! Mandy's project has been one of my favorite examples of public art in a long time. This is also a one night only event!

Jeffry Mitchell at James Harris Gallery
vases & flowers, flowers & vases

Jeff's been working hard on a whole new series of vases and drawings/watercolors of flowers. Should be typical Mitchell, which means it will incredibly charming and highly collectible. 

This post was updated on 7/8/2009.

No comments: