Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pride 2009


Pride 2008 @ Linda's

Has it already been almost a year since the picture above was taken? I don't even call it Gay Pride anymore since about half the friends I celebrate it with are straight. It's been a busy with week with me shutting down the office at my day job and I haven't really paying much attention that Gay Christmas is almost upon us.

While I was bummed when the parade left Broadway for 4th Avenue a couple of years ago, it's a real good indicator of acceptance. Every year I have a couple of friends (straight and gay) ask me why do 'teh gays' think a pride celebration is still necessary. I can see their point - in a town like Seattle, it can seem redundant (according to census records, Capitol Hill is one of the gayest neighborhoods in the country). But then I think back to the events of this past year and I'm reminded that the rest of the country isn't quite as progressive as Seattle. A lot of bad stuff went down this year: the passage of Prop 8 (and even worse measures in other states), Obama and his DOMA brief (and slow work on repealing DADT), and continued hate crimes like case of Angie Zapata, So yes, I do still think it's necessary. And I know we're getting kind of boring and integrated. But I think this pride is going to be different because thanks to MA, CT, IA, VT, ME and NH, we have a lot to celebrate this year, too!

3 comments:

sharon said...

Hell yes celebrate! Maybe even celebrate more when times are tough (like prop 8) to keep up the positivity and persevere!

jaya said...

I learned more about friendship and friends online in your blog and I need to get more friends thorugh you blog to my social networking website and Online friends community to get more entertainment with online friends.





Indian Friends Online Community


Social Network website


Make Money Online

jaya said...

Nice to your read your blog about online friends. You can find more friends in online to get new ideas about anything in and around the world. Indian Friends Online are dominated in this online community to reach you goal.



Indian Friends Online Community


Social Network website


Make Money Online