Friday, May 15, 2009

George Rodriguez / Mentoring

George Rodriguez (detail)

Last night, I went to the opening of Mentoring at SAM Gallery.  If you're not familiar with the idea behind the show, four established artists chose an emerging artist they felt deserved more attention.  The pairings were Claire Cowie/George Rodriguez, Joe Park/Robert Hardgrave, Ellen Garvens/Colleen Choquette-Raphael and Eva Isaksen/Dan Hawkins.  As you can see, the looseness of the mission allowed for some interesting pairings.  I don't know if I'd consider Robert Hardgrave an emerging artist, but I love that Joe Park chose him.  They both have some of the most amazing brush-work I've seen in town!


George Rodriguez (detail from MFA show)

It was the Claire/George pairing that I was most interested in last night.  George is just about to get his MFA from the UW and I can't wait to see a larger collection of his work.  What I've seen so far is so sweet and adorable, full of mariachi bands and pinatas.  He has a beautiful installation at SAM Gallery.  It's the print (at top) of the band  and below it, the same thing but recreated in ceramics.  I wanted it so bad!  

No comments: