Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cornish BFA 2009

Clear, Concise, Complete (2008) by Justin Lytle (image via)

The 2009 Cornish BFA show opens tomorrow (Friday, May 8).   I didn't get the chance to check out last year's, but I'm sure going to try to make it down this year.   I'm self-taught (or I prefer Robert Hardgrave's term, 'self-formed') and haven't had the pressure or anxiety of a BFA show.
 

Allie by Aleah Chapin (image via artist)

Local artist, Sharon Arnold, however, did have one (at Cornish, in fact).  And she has some passionate words of wisdom for this year's class, "Dear gradating class of 2009. Don't be scared. Get the hell out there and transform, grow, and do things. Read. Write. Engage, participate and challenge."  


Watching by Aleah Chapin (image via artist)

I asked graduating student Aleah Chapin what her show was about.

"My show includes a bit of all my interests; painting, video, wearable sculpture and performance...I'm fascinated by the idea that paint can be mushed around on canvas and all the sudden a face is looking back at you. my performance piece is inspired by the desire to take this illusion further, to take it off the canvas."  

Aleah will also be doing a performance piece during the opening.

Go class 0f 2009. People are already expecting great things out of you!

6 comments:

sharonA said...

Oh Joey, I'll meet you there! I look forward to seeing what you think and write about :D

mle said...

Great post! This year's show is pretty heart stopping. VERY excited for the Cornish grads.

Anonymous said...

I've been going to the Cornish BFA exhibit for several years. I was probably the most disappointed in this show of all the years that I've been.

sharon said...

Oh Anonymous! I'm sorry to hear that -- personally I'm happy to have been proven wrong. Its usually me who says "oh Cornish" but this year is a really strong group.

Maxx said...

Aleah,
You are so very talented! I am sorry I missed the opening but I be by to see everything monday or tuesday.

cheers,
h.

Joey Veltkamp said...

Yeah, I thought it was a really great show with some highly developed pieces. And Aleah's paintings HAVE to be seen in person!