Monday, March 23, 2009

Two birds on a branch


2 birds on a branch (in blue), 2009, 4' x 3'
*
I don't know what it is, but there's something something very appealing about two birds on a branch. I think in my own paintings, they have come to symbolize love. The painting above is a commission I just delivered to my sweet friends, Beth & Jen. They're so dear to me and it's hung in the most prominent spot in their home, so we all wanted to make sure it was just right.
*

*
Here are the four different options we considered. The first image was lower left. Looking at it now, the birds seem kind of feisty. To counteract that, I came up with the image on the lower right. Super cute. Too cute, in fact. The upper left image was the next one and ended up being our favorite. Although Beth/Jen are so adorable that I kind of wanted them to go with the lower right.
*
This painting was inspired by a painting they liked that was commissioned by my friend John (for his wife). And that painting was based on another painting of a bird that my friend Jody bought (that's how we met) when I was first showing at Lark.