Wednesday, March 18, 2009

CALL AND RESPONSE / Crawl Space


Jack Ryan, Moon Fixture, 2008 (image via Crawl Space)

Crawl Space presents its 3rd Annual Centennial Exhibition curated/juried by Jeffry Mitchell. The show includes art by twelve Northwest artists: Gretchen Bennett, James Braden, Matt Cox, Dorian Dyer, Sol Hashemi, Joshua Lindenmayer, Jeffry Mitchell, Jenevive Nykolak, Chauney Peck, Jack Ryan, Sonya Stockton and Brett Walker.


Jack Ryan, Moon/Color Spectrum, 2008 (image via Crawl Space)

Jeffry juried the show by creating pairings of art that resonated with each other. I think there are some really, really cool themes here! I can't wait for the opening. The show just has really great energy around it. I think Jeffry should have titled the show, "Wise OWL presents Spiritfeather, Part I". In fact, that might have even been suggested over beers.


Dorian Dyer, Joy Embraces, 1994-2006 (image via Crawl Space)

I asked Jeff what he thought curating the show would be like:

"I think every artist fantasizes curating a show. I dreamt that cool artist friends of mine would do all the work and I could just shop. As it turns out, curating this show was nothing like my fantasy, the reality was really challenging, daunting even but I loved the work of it. I had to look at the submissions many times. I included work I never thought i would , and let go of work I loved. This show also demanded that I write, something I avoid because I struggle with it so. It took me a long time to write the bits that I did, but I'm so pleased I made the effort.. The work I put into this show makes me love it. I'm very excited for Seattle to see it. Please come take a look!" Jeffry Mitchell


Jamey Braden, 2008
Horses are Birds if That is Going to Help You Out (Yes it Will)

Here are Jeffry's written thoughts for the show statement. They remind me of "The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon " by Tom Spanbauer (another NW great!).

A feather, a skull, the moon and stars, a man (?) and half a lady, crystals and sequins and the grandchildren of Piero Manzoni and Allan Kaprow. There’s something about magic, Hippie magic, and the way the LOVE CHILDREN freed them selves from the cross and sought spiritual expression through ancient forms other than the Christian one that resonates through this show for me. It’s very much my story, and the story I look for. It’s the story that I can’t help but see and although I claim that each pair of works in this show found each other on their own, the instant I see these works I bring stories to each of them, helplessly, naturally.


Sol Hashemi, Twelve Ways to Stack Six Stools, (image via Crawl Space)

CALL AND RESPONSE opens Saturday, March 28 (thru April 26)
Reception 6-9 pm, 504 E. Denny Way #1 (behind a wooden fence)
Jeffry will give a talk at 7:30

Also, Shaun Kardinal did a great job on the new Crawl Space website!

3 comments:

sharonA said...

Oh, this sounds like a fun show!

Joey Veltkamp said...

I know! I really can't wait!

shauniqua said...

i had a meeting with Jenn today so i got a preview of some of the work. it's going to be a great show!

(and thanks for the shout-out, joey!)