Thursday, December 11, 2008

11th Avenue is hopping!

Swung by 11th Avenue tonight for two great openings. First up was Emily Pothast's opening of Eternal Return at Grey Galley & Lounge. A really great show (despite my pics)! I remember her from the UW MFA show a couple of years ago. I liked it then but I really like it now. She also a great art blog.

Next up was Vermillion. Diana turned the front space into a design heaven -- full of really great furniture, lamps, wall hangings, art and the like.

Vermillion is going to relax for a second and keep this show up for a whole month! From Diana's email, "This kicks off our one-month show featuring local designers specializing in repurposed materials and will transform the gallery into a temporary showroom suitable for sitting and relaxing. "

It's really fun and beautiful stuff. Check it out. This crazy orange felted piece really caught my eye.

It's almost the end of 2008. And I just want to give a shout-out to Diana (and Martin) of Vermillion. Seattle is SUPER saturated with amazing artists and galleries. But Diana Adams has really stepped up to the plate and done amazing things this past year. She does lowbrow, she does highbrow and everything in between. If I had to name three places that blew me away this year with their art offerings, it would the Henry Art Gallery, Free Sheep Foundation and Vermillion.

I can't believe that tonight was the first time I've seen the work of amazing photo-realist painter Ann Duffy. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for the post. I'm glad you enjoyed the show!