Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Jesus Christ Superstar


Ted Neely as Jesus, 1973

It comes as a surprise to a lot of my friends that I LOVE Jesus Christ Superstar. Like I'm nuts about it and watch it almost monthly! I listen to the soundtrack even more frequently. It's a rock-opera (two words I never thought I'd see together on my blog) about the struggles of Jesus by Andrew Lloyd Webber (Phantom of the Opera) and Tim Rice (The Lion King). I should hate it on so many levels...
*

Still from King Herod's Song

...but I just love it! I've tried to turn on friends but it's really a love it or hate it kind of movie. It's a bit irreverent but in the end, I think it casts a sympathetic light on Jesus.
*
The director, Norm Jewison, also directed Moonstruck and Rollerball.



Which leads me to Godspell. I never really gave the other Jesus musicals a chance (Godspell, Joseph and that Technicolor Coat). I really enjoyed the Senior production of Godspell in High School ("Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Erich VonHeeder!") but never really cared for the music that much. Something clicked about a year ago and GS has been ear-worming its way into my brain ever since.
*
This weekend, the musical will be playing on Capitol Hill:
Seattle First Baptist Church
1111 Harvard Avenue
7 pm each Fri/Sat
Tickets: $25

3 comments:

Party of 5 said...

Joe...I always love reading your descriptions of things. The 'Eric vonHeeder' part was so funny to me!
Enjoy the show......
love, c

Wendy said...

Who's Party of 5?

And on *which* levels should you hate Jesus Christ Superstar???

Joey Veltkamp said...

Po5 is Colleen A.

Well, I'm not a big of Andrew Lloyd Webber (or even Tim Rice these days). Not that big into movies based on the life of Jesus. It's overacted and a rock-opera. DESPITE those things, I just love it!