Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Neck and neck with sunbeams"


Ryan Molenkamp (obligingly standing in front of his painting)

Tonight was a preview for Ryan Molenkamp's "The San Juans" show at Vermillion. I really like them. They read even better in person than in photos. The perspective for the oil paintings is like old-timey cartography/bird's eye view.
*


I immediately related to the high-contrast black and white paintings. But as I was leaving, I got to spend some more time with the color paintings and got really mesmerized. The photo didn't turn out but there's a really handsome painting of brown palette with an explosion of color in the upper right. You should really swing by Vermillion tomorrow for the opening.


*
And every time I go into Vermillion, I always think to myself, "Why am I not coming here more often?" The happy hour has the BEST prices for great wine or cheap beer! On top of that, the food is delicious! Try Diana's homemade mac 'n' cheese (add meatballs!). The art in the front gallery draws you in and then you walk back and end up in this great room with a big party going on. Surpsingly covert. Cheers to Martin and Diana for a cozy buildout.


cast darth vader wtih succulent
(a present martin received)

1 comment:

Strath said...

This looks amazing! I'm adding it to my list, can't wait to see it.